19 February 2010

What the Poap would say on 'Thought for the Day'.

I don't have permission to copy this but hey, no-one reads this blog anyway.

“Good Morning, John. Good morning, Sarah. And good morning, Rabbi Lionel Blue. It’s a great pleasure to be here to offer you my Thought for the Day. Who indeed would have ‘Thought’ it, eh? That’s my little joke, written and approved for me by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith. What we call things is important isn’t it? So I’m not sure Thought for the Day is quite right: Sounds dangerously pluralist to me. They’ll be suggesting a secular Thought for the Day next. Or, worse, an Anglican one. I’ve toyed with Encyclical of the Day, but that seems a bit long. Perhaps Bull of the Day? But the producers here at the BBC tell me that it’s been called that for some time anyway. I’m told I have only three minutes, though I hope it’ll feel like an eternity, if you follow me. And you should, before it’s too late. People ask why I’ve come to Britain. Simple, I reply. I was invited. Rather in the same way as I was invited by English Anglo-Catholics to offer them a home in Rome. Of course, in one sense – and there is only One – Britain is under my authority, so I do see that I have invited myself. And that’s the point, really, and the Thought I want to leave you with today, here on Today: This is not a State visit. I specifically asked for it not to be. The Queen can’t invite me to visit, because she is so-called Supreme Head of a Church whose orders are invalid. So, rather, I have invited the Queen to visit me. In England. It’s a question not only of being holy and apostolic, you see, but universal. So it’s not a question of your people coming to Rome. Rome is coming to you. We know where you live. And don’t think I just live in the Vatican – what do you think I am, Patriarch of the West? No, I’m Patriarch of the whole darned shooting match, thankyou very much, as I tried to explain to the Archbishop of Canterbury when I told him to come to Rome last year. It’s a question of authority, you see. Not Her Majesty’s, not her Church of England’s, not the British state’s – or for that matter the British state broadcaster’s. I gather there used to be a Broadcasting Standards Authority, but that’s gone now. As I’m told has the authority of the BBC. That’s what the nice young Jesuit, Mark Thompson, said when he invited me here. He has no authority either. It’s all mine. And best for us all that you recognise that. Pax vobiscum.”

3 comments:

Andy Thompson said...

Hey just noticed your comment on my blog and wanted to thank you for your contribution.

Chicapea said...

Hello Phillip,
You left a comment at one of my blogs today. I'm not sure why you would be so nasty mean when we do not know each other.
As for your querey about my Pastor, no, he does not. I'm not sure why you would say such a thing about him when you don't even know him. He's a good man. Perfect? No. But he is definitely NOT what you tried to imply he was. That is sick and for you to say it and think it, makes me wonder if you are not one yourself.
It is obvious that we believe differently and I am assuming that you chose me randomly, because of my beliefs, to be hateful and ugly.
Our differences do not bother me and I would much rather be cordial with you than brutal. However, just because I am a Christian does not mean I tolerate abuse.
I have kept your comment, your IP Address, and all of your other computer information which is below:

Domain Name ntl.com ? (Commercial)
IP Address 81.105.142.# (NTL Internet)
ISP NTL Internet
Location Continent : Europe
Country : United Kingdom (Facts)
State/Region : Bolton
City : Bolton
Lat/Long : 53.5833, -2.4333 (Map)

Language English (U.K.)
en-gb
Operating System Microsoft WinNT
Browser Internet Explorer 7.0
Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; GTB6.4; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; Media Center PC 6.0; InfoPath.2; OfficeLiveConnector.1.3; OfficeLivePatch.0.0)
Javascript version 1.3
Monitor Resolution : 1152 x 720
Color Depth : 32 bits

Time of Visit Mar 23 2010 6:49:34 pm
Last Page View Mar 23 2010 6:49:58 pm
Visit Length 24 seconds
Page Views 1

If you continue to leave harassing comments, I will be forced to report abuse to your server and have you disconnected, with possible charges pressed against you for abuse and slander.

I would rather be cordial with you than brutal.

Thank you

Philip G said...

Hello Chicapea

I am sorry that my words offended you. I really must try to deal with the anger that I feel towards organised religion.

I would hope that your church does not instill a fear of god (or eternity in hell) or mess with the heads of your young parishoners in any other way. I sense that they could be doing much more enjoyable and useful things than learning bits of the bible however.

I would also trust that you are not teaching them that intelligent design is fact and that you do not tell them that the bible is the literal word of god as they will not thank you for it when they find real truth.

I am sure you are doing what you feel is the best by your children in bringing them up in the name of the one true god. If you really do believe that they will go to hell if they sin, then I suppose it could be argued that you have a duty to impose your beliefs on them. I just wish that parents would leave their children alone to make up their own minds as I tried to do with mine despite my strong views.

There is no need to threaten me. I am happy to provide details of who I am (rather than just an IP address). I will not be making any more outbursts and I am sorry it has upset you. Yes I chose you at random having got onto the blog ring via Banana Man, Ray Comfort.

Regards

Yiggoto.