25 January 2011

A letter to God from Lovingdoubt

A letter to god.



Thanks to Godless Girl for bringing this to my attention.

What would I write?

My god would have to be chance and randomness. It has no consciousness. It does not see what will happen next, but through a number of events to an almost infinite power, I sit here contemplating my place in the cosmos, because of my god.

I can see why people need to believe in their own personal deity, if not for salvation, then to give order to the random mutations that gave birth to their ancestors and to believe that there are checks and balances in place to ensure that good and bad are noticed and acted upon at some higher level.

The clinical randomness, the cause and effect is what gives my world its beauty and makes me feel so honoured to have walked this way for such a short time. It saddens me that many of my fellow humans do not realise what a special and unique place in the universe we inhabit. Perhaps then, they would do more to protect it and less to hasten its demise.

No comments: