30 March 2012

My nice letter to the Jehova's Witnesses.

Kingdom Hall
31 Market Street
Sheffield S13 7PD

18th March 2012


Dear Sir or Madam

I have received an invitation today to attend your event on the 5th April, when I am invited to “listen to scriptural answers” and one on the 8th April when I am invited to a “discourse”. In fact your flyer asks me “How I view Jesus” and then invites me to hear “the answer”. Your flyer does not state who will be giving the talks or mention their qualification to do so. It does however mention that “Jesus is now reigning as an exalted king” which I feel I have to take issue with.

I have read much on the subject of the New Testament including A.N. Wilson’s excellent book on the subject of Jesus and I doubt that you have reached the same conclusion as I have about how to view Jesus. I would particularly like to hear about evidence for Jesus’ existence outside of the Bible and what your cult makes of the many virgin birth and resurrection stories that preceded Jesus.

Are you able to confirm that there will be a question and answer each talk? Otherwise it would seem a little pointless to turn-up if I am just going to be preached at.

I look forward to receiving further information about this event so that I can make up my mind if it will be beneficial for me to attend. Alternatively I am happy to address your group separately regarding my understanding of Jesus from an atheist perspective. Do you have guest speakers of different persuasions?

I look forward to hearing from you.


Yours faithfully


Philip Gilbert.

No comments: