28 August 2011

Ten things I would need to deny to begin to accept that the bible was written by God.

That it is clearly written by people of that time.

That there is no corroborating evidence for the House of David.

That it contradicts itself frequently.

That it promotes murder, misogyny and slavery.

That it contains a virgin birth like so many other myths.

That the Adam and Eve thing is totally absurd and without Eve and the snake there is no reason for Jesus’ death.

That God is needy, demands my attention and if I don’t do things his way, he will torture me for eternity.

That God lets the devil do his work for him.

That according to the bible, heaven is a cube where dragons live and where angels fight.

That the best way an all-powerful god (who had already drowned everything on earth to rectify a previous mistake) could redeem his creation was by impregnating a virgin so that his son could be tortured and killed to save my soul.

3 comments:

Sitsio said...

I wonder if you have ever found out what people of faith say to the questions you pose here, or if you prefer to stereotype them as moronic?

Philip G said...

Would I label people who choose to believe in an invisible magic friend who they believe grants them favours if they pray to him?

I can guess what people would say in reply. I have had plenty of conversations apologetic Christians.

Sitsio said...

"Would I label people who choose to believe in an invisible magic friend who they believe grants them favours if they pray to him?"

That's not what I asked, but it does clearly demonstrate your a priori approach to the idea of theism. It's also rather dishonest, because we all have a spiritual dimension. We may deny organised religion's interpretations of that spiritual dimension, but we we cannot, honestly, deny what we are.

"I can guess what people would say in reply. I have had plenty of conversations apologetic Christians."

So no then. This "no" is clear from your initial premise, which demonstrates your ignorance of the questions you pose (especially, for instance with regard to the Bible).